Skip to content
- Cheatham Locks and Dam (CR 149) – Starting an 11 day full closure on 5-10-21. Intermittent closures for repair will run through 7-15-21.
- Meldahl Locks and Dam (OR 436) – Main chamber repairs will begin 5-17-21 and run through 6-29-21. Will use the Auxiliary chamber. Expect intermittent full closures TBA. In the last 24 hours there were 13 tows that arrived and we passed 10 tows that averaged 7.41 hours of delay. There are currently 3 tows waiting that have averaged 7.66 hours of delay. Since repairs began, May 17th, we have passed 252 tows that have averaged 10.95 hours of delay.
- LaCrosse Railroad Bridge (UM 699) – has RETURNED to normal operations as of 1500 today and traffic will now be allow to pass.
- Burlington Railroad Bridge Closure – BNSF is making repairs to their subject bridge and will require a one hour advance notice to transit between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. They plan on moving into position tomorrow and are estimated to be out there for the next 3 to 4 weeks.
- Mel Price Main Chamber Closure 2022 – Main Chamber closed JAN 2022- Mar 2022 for Liftgate Replacement and Lock Dewatering.
- Lock 2 Closure – UM815 is going to have a planned Closure in July. They will have 4 -12hr closures to install Miter gates.
Lower Miss/Gulf/Canals/Tenn Tom
- Arkansas River High Flow Delays – Tow sizes reduced by 25-50% and significant delays to transit due to high flows. Expect impacts to navigation through late June.
- Timbigbee Waterway High Water – High Water conditions on the Warrior-Tom and Tenn-Tom are leading to delays due to bridge clearances, high flows, and potential for grounding in areas with shoaling.
- Warrior-Tom Closure for Lock Repairs – The Warrior-Tom will be closed at Bankhead and Oliver Locks for maintenance 6/24 through 7/23. This is a full 30-day closure which will cut-off access to Birmingham and Tuscaloosa.
- Tenn-Tom Lock Closures – High Flows and passing flood water is driving a full closure of Stennis Lock (TT 334.7). Expect to reopen Stennis Lock approx. noon 6/14. A barge allision with the spillway is driving a closure to the Tom Bevil lock (TT 307) since noon 6/12. More details to come once barge removal plans are finalized. These closures block access from Mobile to the Tennessee just below Columbus, MS.
- Gulf and Canals Weather Update – Good operating conditions expected for most of the region this week, 6/14 through 6/19. Seasonal showers may occur, but expect no impact to barging activities.
- Algiers Lock Restrictions – Until further notice, tows over 60′ wide restricted to 600′ total length, and tows less than 60′ wide restricted to 700′ total length. Two 30K barges or Four regulation barges are able to lock through in one go, but greater configurations will require trip boat assistance.
- Algiers Lock Delays -Traffic and ongoing tow size restrictions remain driving 24 hours of delay at Algiers (West Canal). Prolonged closure of the Port Allen has extended these delays.
- Bayou Chene Closure – Due to entering a critical phase of floodgate construction and diving operations, expect nightly closures (1900 – 0700) and an assist vessel requirement for transiting Bayou Chene (Morgan City bypass). These changes take effect 4/14. May drive delays to transit of the West Canal through the Morgan City area of 6-12 hrs.
- Bayou Sorrel Reopened- Bayou Sorrel Lock (PA 37) has reopened on 6/12 following a month-long closure since 5/11. Expect traffic to slowly divert to the Port Allen, given the volume of barges remaining in NOLA for transit through Algiers. USACE is dredging about Bayou Sorrel 6/10 – 7/8, but minimal impact to navigation is expected. Expect a full recovery to transit by the end of June.
- Port Allen Lock Restrictions – Due to a barge allision and damage to the guidewall, restrictions are in place as follows. Westbound tows with more than 1 barge permitted to lock with an assist vessel, while only single-barge tows will lock without assist. Eastbound tows greater than 650′ long will require an assist vessel. Due to these restrictions, expect a potential for delays to lockages.